Marriage Equality Case drinking game
Take a shot if:
- Both cases are split in a 5-4 vote
- Kennedy writes the majority opinion in either case
- Kennedy writes the majority opinion in the DOMA case based on federalism
- If the above is true, Sotomayor, Kagan, or Ginsburg write a concurring opinion based on Equal Protection in the DOMA case
- Kagan mentions the intent of “animus” in the original creation of DOMA
- Scalia says, in either case, that the “gay elite” is so powerful that it doesn’t need the Supreme Court’s protection/gay people can just encourage their legislatures to vote in their favor
- Scalia says that we can legislate based on morality, so if people think homosexuality is “immoral,” they should be able to make that into law
- Alito or Roberts says that this is a tough and relatively “new” issue that is better left for the general public, not the Court, to decide
- One case is favorable towards same-sex marriage but the other isn’t
And here’s the one that will irritate me the most, so take 5 shots if:
- Either case is dismissed on procedural grounds
DOMA and Prop 8 decisions are around the corner, so SCOTUSblog has an FAQ post for those curious about the Supreme Court’s opinion announcement procedures.
Cool I'm filipino too! I really want to know because its my first pride ever, I heard there are more gays than lesbians who go to the parade?
I’ve never really paid attention to whether or not there are more men or women at NYC Pride, to be completely honest. Maria and I usually have tunnel vision and look at the women so our perceptions are skewed :p
Yey!! I was planning my pride weekend thats why I asked you.. I wish I could bump into you. Have you heard about Heather's bar? I'm not talking about HeMo lol
I’ve never heard of that bar but I’ll be sure to look it up! To be honest, I’ll probably be a moving target for Pride Weekend since a) many of the events require a large cover or ticket price or b) the affordable places are going to be crowded. Look for the small Filipino girl with a tie accompanied by a stocky Filipino with short hair.
Without giving too much away about my location, my only clue is that I will have decent access to wine and gay things.